Accessibility: Screen Readers Cannot Track the Cursor and Focus in the New Custom Field Object Manager Dialog
Last updated 2021-05-26 ·Reference W-8554305 ·Reported By 4 users
Screen readers cannot reliably track the cursor and the focus in the New Custom Field Object Manager dialog. No speech is heard when editing fields such as Label and no speech is heard when tabbing through the field creation page.
1. Log into Salesforce.
2. Navigate to Setup > Object Manager > (any existing object) > Fields and Relationships.
3. Make sure the JAWS or NVDA screen reader is running and talking at this point.
4. Activate the New Custom Field button. Observe that the means for indicating the visual focus changes in this dialog.
5. Choose Picklist as the data type and activate the Next button. IMPORTANT, do not leave the Salesforce window to review these instructions. Remain focused only inside Salesforce.
6. When the page loads, the screen reading software announces the page title, but no other information. Observe that the screen reader's browse mode or virtual PC cursor doesn't always land in the exact same position, though it is usually one line above or below the first edit field in the field builder. The visual focus is on the Label field. Expected behavior is that, when the page loads, the screen reader would announce the location of focus.
7. Press tab to navigate forward through the page. Observe that the visual focus moves, but the screen reader remains silent.
8. Press up arrow and down arrow until you locate the edit box for the Field Label.
9. Press ENTER, or ensure your screen reading software is in focus or forms mode and is editing the field.
10. Now that the screen reader is in an edit mode inside the box, type Eye Color. Press the left and right arrow keys. Observe that no text is repeated. The screen reader does not read the contents of the form field element. Expected behavior is that you hear characters spoken as you move the cursor.
11. Press ALT TAB to leave Salesforce and switch to a different open window, such as a Notepad file or any other window.
12. ALT TAB back into Salesforce. Expected behavior is that the browse mode or virtual PC cursor would return to the cursor's former position inside the field. Instead, the browse mode or virtual PC cursor is at the top of the page, while the visual focus is on the field.
13. Navigate down the page and locate the Field Label edit box again. Press ENTER to begin editing the text of the field.
14. Review the field by pressing left and right arrow keys. No text is spoken as you move the cursor.
15. Press escape to exit the field and press TAB to progress through elements on the page. Observe that nothing is spoken as the user presses TAB. Expected behavior is that the screen reader would read elements as they receive focus.
16. Press control+home to navigate to the top of the page. Press down arrow, then press TAB. Elements are spoken now, and when you reach the Field Label edit box, the text inside the field will be spoken as the user moves the cursor inside the form field.
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.