Users will receive an error message when they try to access the external data source using Files Connect
Last updated 2020-01-04 ·Reference W-6869380 ·Reported By 2 users
1. Users that set up Files Connect with SharePoint Online using the "Per User" identity type, are not able to access the external data source from under the "Files" tab when accessing the data source for the first time.
2. When the identity type is changed to "Named Principal", the external data source gets authenticated and then users can access the same data source without any errors.
1. Navigate to the "Files" tab in Salesforce and click the external data source that has been in use or set up a new external data source and repeat the same steps.
2. Users will see the error message provided below if the external data source has been setup with "Per User" identity type.
Error message: "Can't access external source. External data source is unavavailable because of an error."
There are two possible workarounds:
1. If we switch the identity type to "Named Principal" from "Per User" for the external data source, users should not face this issue.
2. Using "Per User" as the identity type, we can create an external authentication record for the user from their Personal Settings in Salesforce and they should be able to access the same external data source under the "Files" tab.
The steps are given here: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=external_authentication.htm&type=5
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.