You receive an email of unsuccessful completion when updating Custom Field Relationship from Lookup to Master Detail by deployments
Last updated 2022-07-28 ·Reference W-4233004 ·Reported By 3 users
You will receive the following email notification when you deploy change of a custom field relationship from Lookup to Master Detail by deployments, such as change sets, Force.com IDE and Force.com Migration Tool.
"Your request to change your organization-wide sharing defaults was unsuccessful, please try again."
This problem occurs only when the external sharing model feature is off.
1. Ensure that the external sharing model feature is off in your org.
You can check it by seeing if the Enable External Sharing Model button is grayed out in the Sharing Settings page.
2. Create two objects that have a lookup relationship.
3. Deploy to change the object relationship from Lookup to Master Detail.
4. This deployment will complete successfully, but you won't be able to change OWD for a while.
5. After a while, you will get the following email notification.
Subject: Processing complete
Body: Your request to change your organization-wide sharing defaults was unsuccessful, please try again.
To avoid this error, change the object relationship in Salesforce applications instead of deployments.
1. Navigate to your child object definition page.
2. Find your lookup-relationship custom field.
3. Click the Edit link.
4. Click the Change Field Type button.
Note: Please test this operation in your sandbox before you do it in production.
If you have already received the error by email, please check the following points. If your deployment meets the following conditions, it will have no impacts on your organization.
1. You changed an object relationship from Lookup to Master Detail by the deployment.
2. Your child object has "Controlled by Parent" in OWD now.
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.