Journey Builder Test Mode Errors when an ampersand '&' is used in the field name of entry source DE
Last updated 2020-06-15 ·Reference W-7354686 ·Reported By 0 users
Fixed in version Marketing Cloud Release May 2020
When a data extension used as an entry source data extension in Journey Builder has a field name that contains an ampersand '&', test mode will fail when clicking save > validate > test and completing the testing prompt. Instead of the test results the UI shows "We encountered an error running the test, please try again."
1. In Email Studio, navigate to Subscribers > Data Extensions > Create
2. Create a Standard sendable DE with 3 fields with details below:
SubscriberKey - Text - Primary Key
Email - EmailAddress
Test & Test - Text
3. Navigate to Contact Builder > Data Extensions > select the DE > records > click Add Record to add a test record
4. Navigate to Journey Builder > Create New Journey
5. Create a Journey using the multi-step option
6. Add over the Data Extension Entry source to the Journey selecting the DE created in previous steps
7. Add a random split to the Journey canvas and select the schedule to run once
8. Name the Journey and click Journey settings to specify email address from DE as email
9. Navigate back to the Journey canvas, select Save > Validate > Test
10. Choose the test contact, select option "DO NOT send messages"
11. Click Summary > Start Test
12. Observe error "We encountered an error running the test, please try again"
Note: this also fails if you choose "send only test messages" instead of "DO NOT send messages"
Change the "&" to a literal "and" on the data extension field name.
Reported By (0)
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.