Process Builder Updating a Related Record's Record Type Redirects User to Related Record upon Saving Modifications
Last updated 2019-09-07 ·Reference W-6019898 ·Reported By 12 users
When Process Builder is used to make an update to a related record's record type, the user will be redirected to the related record upon saving their modifications.
In other words if a Process Builder is used to set the Opportunity's Account Record Type when the Opportunity's stage is changed, the user will be redirected to the Account page when the change is made via the edit record detail page. If a user performs an in-line edit they do not see this behavior.
1. Navigate to the Account Object and create 2 record types, one called Draft and one called PB Update, making sure to set them to Active. Copy the PB Update record type ID and paste it somewhere handy for later. Note: make sure the Account Record Type field is added to the Account page layout.
2. Navigate to Setup and open Process Builder
3. Click New and create a Process Builder called Update Account's Record Type. The process starts when “A record changes”
4. In Process Builder click Add Object and select the Opportunity Object. Start the process “when a record is created or edited”. Save.
5. In Process Builder click Add Criteria, Criteria Name “Opportunity Stage = Needs Analysis”, Criteria for Executing Actions: Conditions are Met, Set Conditions: [Opportunity].StageName | Equals | Picklist | Needs Analysis. Save.
6. In Process Builder to the right of the Criteria click Add Action. Action Type “Update Record”, Action Name “Update Account's Record Type". Select a Record Type “Select a record related to the Opportunity” and type “Account ID” and click Choose.
7. Set Criteria for Updating Records to “No Criteria- just update records!”.
8. Click into Fields and set to Field = Record Type ID, Type = ID, Value = <Id you copied in step 1>.
9. Click Save and Activate the Process Builder
Observing the Redirect
1. Create a new Account and take note of the name you gave it for later
2. While viewing the Account, click on the Opportunities Tab
3. On the Opportunities Tab click New and Create a New Opportunity, make sure the Opportunity's Account Lookup is populated to reference the Account you created in Step #1, and that the Stage is Prospecting
4. On the newly created Opportunity click the Edit action to modify the Opportunity's Stage from Prospecting to Needs Analysis
5. Observe the Opportunity loads for a brief second and then the user is immediately redirected to the Account where the Record Type is changed.
Instead of using the Edit action on the record, double click into the record to make changes.
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.