Journey Entry Audience activity does not get added to existing automation if Journey uses complex entry filter criteria
Last updated 16 days ago ·Reference W-5538939 ·Reported By 9 users
When configuring a Data Extension Journey Entry Source, an existing automation can be selected when setting the Schedule. Normally, activating a Journey that is configured this way results in a Journey Entry: Audience activity getting added automatically to the final step in the automation.
However, if complex entry criteria are set for the Journey (e.g. 4+ and/or logic groups or 3+ filters in a number of logic groups), the Journey Entry: Audience may not get created in the existing automation when the Journey is activated. This will result in contacts not getting injected into the Journey when the automation runs.
1. Create a sendable data extension.
2. In Automation Studio, create a Query Activity that populates this sendable data extension with subscribers.
3. Create an Automation and add the Query Activity from step 2 to this automation.
4. Name the Automation. Configure a schedule. Save and set schedule to Active.
5. In Journey Builder, create a new Journey from Scratch.
6. Add a Data Extension entry source and configure it to use the data extension created in step 1.
7. Next to Filter Contacts, click Edit. Configure complex filter criteria that reference Contact Data. For example, this may consist of 4+ and/or logic groups. If one or more of these logic groupings also includes 3+ filters this also increases complexity.
8. Click on Schedule and select 'Automation' under Schedule Type.
8. Click Set Schedule and select the automation from step 3.
9. Finish configuring the Journey and press the Activate button. The Journey will get activated. However, if we view the associated automation in Automation Studio, the Journey Entry: Audience activity will not get added to the automation. This will result in contacts not getting injected into the Journey when automation runs.
Reduce the complexity of the Journey entry filter criteria. This can be achieved by further pre-filtering the audience using a Query Activity in Automation Studio.
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.