The "Record Type" field is not available for page layouts for the "Work Order" or "Work Order Line Item" objects
Last updated 2017-04-14 ·Reference W-2985812 ·Reported By 4 users
It's possible to create record types for the new "Work Order" & "Work Order Line Item" objects, and to assign the record types on creation of a new work order, however it is not possible to add the "Record Type" field to the page layout, and as such difficult to change the record type of a current record from the UI.
1. Open any org that is on the Spring 16 release or later, and has Work Orders enabled. Make sure you log in as a sys admin
2. Open any work order record
3. Click the "Edit layout" link on the top right-hand side of the page
4. Search for the "Record Type" field, and not that it is not present
It is still possible to create record types and assign them on work order creation, within the user interface. It is also possible to edit the record type for any work order using the api (e.g. though Workbench, using the "Update" function).
If you really require that users be able to change the record type within the UI before this issue is resolved you can implement this using workflow and a custom field as follows:
1. Create a custom picklist with one entry for each record type. Call it "Record Type (temp)" or something along those lines
2. Create a workflow or process for each entry that triggers when the "Record Type (temp)" picklist is set to that entry. The workflow should update the actual "Record Type" field to that value
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.