Updating or creating a user returns a false duplicate username error
Last updated 2016-12-08 ·Reference W-2923008 ·Reported By 6 users
When trying to update or create a new user, admin are receiving a duplicate username error when no duplicate user can be located.
Fields updates on the user object, through workflow and Apex, are causing a duplicate username error.
1. Create a Workflow Rule
2. Select User as an object to which the workflow rule applies.
3. In the "Configure Workflow Rule" step, choose "created" as "Evaluation Criteria", select "formula evaluates to true" in "Rule Criteria", and insert "TRUE" as a formula so that the workflow can run whenever a user is created.
4. In the "Specify Workflow Actions" step, click "Add Workflow Action" and select "New Field Update".
5. In "Field Update Edit", choose "Nickname" as "Field to Update", and click "Save".
6. Activate the workflow.
7. Create a new User via a browser. And the following error will be displayed beneath the "Username" field.
Error: Duplicate Username.
The username already exists in this or another Salesforce organization. Usernames must be unique across all Salesforce organizations. To resolve, use a different username (it doesn't need to match the user's email address).
You will need to disable the workflow or Apex performing the field update on the user object. This will allow you to change a username without a false error.
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.