Users receive insufficient privileges upon attempting to detach knowledge articles from case
Last updated 2016-12-08 ·Reference W-2923066 ·Reported By 2 users
Users may encounter an Insufficient Privileges message when attempting to detach an article from a case when it was:
A) Not attached to the case by them directly and/or
B) The case is not owned by the user attempting to detach the article
Despite whether the detaching user has appropriate access on the related case to edit and delete and read permission on the article's article type.
When detaching an article from a case the related CaseArticle record created to maintain the case and article association is deleted and the corresponding chatter feed entry created to track that the article was attached to the case is also deleted.
For this reason, it is required that a user have appropriate access to both the parent Case and Knowledge Article.
Create, read, edit, and delete access are required for the case object and the user must have at least read access to the related article's Article Type.
However, despite having these permissions user's unexpectedly encounter the insufficient privileges message because they lack the permission necessary to perform the deletion of the corresponding case feed entry. This in turn prevents the detach operation and instead returns the no access exception.
1. Enable Knowledge:
2. Create 2 Standard Users both with Knowledge User check box.
3. Create a permission set and add Read access to All Articles Types under Object Settings
4. Assign the permission set to both Standard Users
5. Create a role hierarchy similar to:
6. Assign CEO to standard user 1 and CFO to standard user 2
7. Create a new Case and assign it to User 2
8. Login as User 2 and add any Knowledge Article under the Articles related list
9. Login as User 1 and try to detach said Article
Actual Result: "Insufficient Privileges" is thrown due to the user not having appropriate permissions to delete the chatter feed entry that was created when the article was attached.
Expected Results: User 1 is higher in the role hierarchy so should by default, have the same level of access as the case owner and therefore able to detach the article from the case.
Assign the users who need to detach articles not associated to cases by them or owned by them one of the following profile permissions:
- Moderate Chatter: This will grant users the ability to successfully delete the corresponding feed entry post when the article is detached:
- Modify All CRUD permissions on the case object.
- Modify All Data
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.