Process builder cannot handle null of cross object on formula criteria
Last updated 2022-02-15 ·Reference W-2763830 ·Reported By 584 users
Process Builder does not handle cross-object formula criteria when that relationship field doesn’t have value.
1. Create a process on Contact using the Process Builder.
2. For the first action group's criteria, select Formula evaluates to true and enter formula: ISBLANK([Contact].ReportsTo.Description)
3. Add an immediate action (e.g. post to chatter).
4. Activate the process.
5. Create a new contact without entering a value for Reports To.
The contact is created successfully or a user-friendly error message is issued.
- Error like: A flow trigger failed to execute the flow with version ID 301xx00000000Hb.
- Debug log and/or fault notification email to process creator will indicate error: "The flow failed to access the value for myVariable_current.ReportsTo.Description because it hasn't been set or assigned."
If possible, use filter criteria instead of formula criteria, being sure to include a criteria to check that the relationship field is not null prior to making a cross-object reference across that relationship.
As an example, for the criteria given in repro steps above, filter criteria could be used like:
1. [Contact].ReportsTo is null boolean False AND
2. [Contact].ReportsTo.Description isnull boolean true
Workaround is not valid for cross-object picklist fields referenced in a cross-object formula criteria when the relationship field doesn’t have value
Reported By (584)
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.