Update existing records with Data Import Wizard changes ownership of existing records to the user performing the import
Last updated 2016-07-28 ·Reference W-2322190 ·Reported By 7 users
When using the unified Data Import Wizard (Setup, Data Management | Data Import Wizard in Setup, or click the Import option under My Settings) to update existing records for a custom object, record ownership is changed unexpectedly for matching existing records to the user who is performing the import.
This occurs when record owners are not included in your import file and/or no selection is made for the "Which User field in your file designates record owners?" option or Record Owner is not mapped.
1. Locate a custom object's record where the current record owner is different than the user that you'll be performing the import as.
2. Create a csv file containing the example record's Id and a field of your choosing to update.
3. Open the Data Import Wizard via Setup, Data Management | Data Import Wizard | Launch Wizard!
4. In the wizard select the Custom objects tab and select your custom object from the list. Choose the Update existing records option and choose Match by: Salesforce.com ID. Select CSV for the Where is your data located option | Browse | and locate your file from step 2 | Open and Next.
5. Ensure that Salesforce.com ID is mapped to Id and your custom field in your file is mapped as well then select Next | Start Import.
Actual Results: Navigate back to the example record once the import has completed and note that the record owner was changed from the previous owner to yourself or the user you performed the import as.
Expected Results: Record ownership should not be updated and remain unchanged for existing records when they are updated via the Data Import Wizard.
In order to maintain record ownership for existing records on update users will need to include an Owner column in the import file to set and map the current owner's Id.
The "To find your current User's Ids to populate their values into your import file:" section in the Knowledge Article below contains additional details on how to locate and add owner Ids to your import file:
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.